Monday, December 27, 2010

Peugeot pliant, velo pliant, PNSM40

A folding bicycle is a velo pliant in french.  I googled about with the terms "peugeot pliant" and found a few pics.

Somewhere I found this image, I can't find it again now:


www.bikeboompeugeot.com has something interesting:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Peugeot_1980_US_Catalog_PNSM40_BikeBoomPeugeot.JPG

If the owner objects, I will remove this image, but we're all in this for a common cause, it is apparently from a 1980 catalogue.  Note the extra thingy where it folds, also it is a 3 speed with different brakes to those in Australia:



It seems the NS22 was called the PNSM40 in the US, peut etre also in France.

at  http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21932

someone says:  " I owned and thrashed a 'Peugeot folder for 15yrs from the age of 10yrs. Chemist deliveries, newspaper rounds(heavily laden). Very Strong and Reliable bike. I couldn't kill it, tried hard to. Mother sold it long after I moved out of home. Never had an issue with the folding mech. Wheel size is unique to the bike, 550A, do not let anyone tell you it's 22x 1 3/8, it's not! Tyres and tubes still imported by Apollo (michelin importers). Recently restored one for an elderly Aunt, she loves it. They mono well too. Wouldn't try jumping it though. Hope this helps."

Another comment contradicts the tyres not being 22x1 3/8.  I know there are two sizes of 24" and two sizes of 26", so maybe there is also some other 22" tyre.

I cleaned my wheels, I notice some spokes seem a bit loose, I coated them in WD-40 and will tighten a few.  I also tied a bit of string (light nylon cord, a bit tougher than a shoelace) around each hub, a very daggy thing to do, it keeps the dust off as the string bounces around.

I bought a new CR2032 button cell for my Cateye Vectra, have hardly used it, hit 21mph in 4th gear.  I can't remember how to set it for km/h.

No comments:

Post a Comment