Wednesday, December 22, 2010

brakes and rims

After further reading, it seems the front brakes are centre-pull brakes, a bridge attaches to the frame at one point, from this bridge the two brake arms pivot.  To me, the rear brakes, both arms pivoting directly from the frame meet the definition of U-brake that I read on a few sites.

On my front wheel rim is stamped:

550A MADE IN FRANCE   RIGIDA CHROLUX CHROMAGE SUPERIEUR

then a little diamond with 75 in it.  I wonder if 75 stands for 1975?

The rear rim stamping seems to have run out in the middle of the G:  550A MADE IN FRANCE   RIG


www.rigida.com is still going, they say they've been making bicycle wheel rims since 1908.

I can't see any 550A rims on their site.

I googled Chrolux and at http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-256311.html

find a comment they are light, but the " Bad thing is they rip the hell out of brake pads because of the ribbed sidewalls of the rim."


It seems these rims also came in 27" size


Another comment says the number in the diamond is a date stamp.


So, looks like my NS-22 is only 35 years old... assuming the front wheel is original.


IMHO, the ribbed sidewalls must be there for a reason.  I had a steel wheeled bike in 1983, it the wet the braking was almost useless.  I will be interested to see how the NS-22  Rigida Chrolux Chromage Superieur rims stack up in the wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment