Saturday, December 25, 2010

load carrying ability and wheel circumference

On Christmas Eve I had two children on the bike, one on either carrier rack, each child is about 25kg.  We did a few laps of two tennis courts, no problems.  The front rack is more easily wobbled from side to side.

Late Christmas Day I measured the circumference of the tyre, or to be exact, I measured the ground covered when the wheel passes through one revolution.  I applied some weight to the handlebars and took the front wheel, valve stem down-most, from a line on some concrete until the valve stem was again at the bottom, repeated several times.  I measured 1725mm, let's call it 172cm.  Without weight on the handlebars it goes two or three cm further.

Calculating circumference = 22inches * 2.54 * 3.14 = 175.5cm

or using 22.2 inches (see earlier post), gives 177cm.

I will use 172cm for the cateye computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment