Saturday, January 8, 2011

new handlebars

I found some handlebars on a child's BMX.  They seem sturdy enough.  The BMX stem was marked 22.2mm and is substantially wider than the Peugeot stem, so I have had to stick with the original stem.  On sheldonbrown.com it says french stems are often 22mm and a 22.2 can be sanded back and made to fit easily.  My impression is the NS22 stem might be 20mm.  I have removed the BMX small cross bar, so it can be made to fit in the Peugeot stem.  The bars still seem to have plenty of strength.

These bars do not widen at the part where they are in the stem, so I will need some filler material to fatten them out so the stem can be tightened on them.  It is a tall order for the stem to clamp shut hard enough on these to prevent rotation when the bars are pulled hard or have a lot of weight applied to them, I had noticed this already with the originals.

I think the angle of the handles will be more agreeable for me, the colour does not seem too bad either:

Original chrome bars with grips removed.




This is another bike I own, 1964 Raleigh Boulevard Tourist, I find this comfortable, the handle angles look about the same:



The pump on the frame is an AFA pump, made in France, not original to the bike, I paid 50c for it at a garage sale.  The front light has wobbled down too low.  This is a 3-speed, quite a few kilos lighter than the Peugeot, I replaced the 20 tooth sprocket with a 22, it seems just right now, it even centred the wheel better, making me think this is what it was supposed to have all along.  I think the best time I've had from this on my test rolling hill is 95s, 15 slower than the Peugeot.  I attribute this to the tyres, one I believe to be original, the front one also quite ancient, possibly they are thicker and more puncture resistant, but I think the rolling resistance is greater.

Another day I will discuss the merits of this vs the Peugeot, they are both good in their own ways.

The yellow NS22 I mentioned in Brisbane went for $150.  There is a fair condition white one in Adelaide now, $91, two days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment