Monday, December 20, 2010

my very own NS22...

Here is my machine...


The left crank is probably the rustiest part.  Some of the old grotty white paint can be seen around the bottom bracket spindle, it seems to have been disassembled (not by me).



Minus the stainless steel guards.

I put some pedals on from an old mountain bike, about 1cm wider than the originals.  I think I might cut back the outermost underside of the pedals, to give a bit more ground clearance when cornering.

 More rusty left crank.
 Interesting front brake set up.
 I did not like to remove the chain, so I wrapped it and moved it around between coats of paint.  I like the way the lower chain stay follows the same curve as the down-tube.
 Chain ring and cranks were not removed either.
 The chrome bits at the head were wrapped in plastic with a rubber band around them, I touched them up with a small paint brush.
 Early on the bike hung by the chain ring.
 Another view of the front brakes.  Spots of white paint can be seen on the cap on top of the forks and on the front mudguard, these had been painted completely white.
 Original seat on left, Japanese replacement on the right.
 Japanese seat says Velo underneath, the plastic has a crack in it but this doesn't seem to cause any problem.
Nearly there, brakes not yet connected.


Rear wheel nuts have captive washers, note end of nut is rounded.  Note the way the mudguard is connected.  Those spokes look a bit rusty.  I have not cleaned the wheels at all.


Underside view of rear brakes.  Note the almost new tyre tread.  I have pulled the brake cable through too far, also pulling the cable sheat along with it, there is no stopper present, I'll scrounge one from my box of bits.

 Naked bike still with original seat.
 Original seat.  The metal parts were rusty white pait, so I gave them some black killrust.

No comments:

Post a Comment