Friday, December 31, 2010

modifying pump to fit

This photo of the original (I assume) pump was on US ebay, it says OKE on the side:




I bought a pump for $2, made in China.  It does not appear to be completely terrible quality.  It looks just like a AFA pump, made in France, I have a white one on another bike.  I googled afa pump and see https://melbournebicyclecentre.com/shop/pump-afa-plastic-black/  sell a Zefal, made in France for $10:

The Chinese one came with a Schraeder (car) valve fitting, not the Presta (racing bike) I need.  I unscrewed the part at the top of the pump, pulled the handle off the metal rod, cut the metal rod and the main plastic cylinder.  The screw threaded end thing needed some thread rubbed down a bit and was just pushed into the shortened plastic tube.  It seems to work OK, I might have to be careful not to pull it back too hard and fast, or the little stopper thingy might jump out.  I might get a Zefal if it comes with a Presta valve fitting, being French should help the bike stay happy.

http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/en-uk/d963_standard-pump.html


has the same pump for $8.  it is not clear which valve fitting it comes with.  They sell the little hose thingies for $3, schraeder or presta.

**

I searched 550A on bikeforums.net, in the last four years there have been six north Americans searching for tyres, one looking for a wheel, to suit Peugeot folding bikes, so there obviously must be a few of the in the US and Canada.

One Californian has a Raleigh Cherry:

"It is a Raleigh Cherry, 18" frame marked with "Made in England" label. Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub stamped 81. 20" steel rims marked "Raleigh - made in France 440-20 (550A)."
Tires (original) are also made in France. "


I notice those wheels above have 36 spokes, the NS22 has 28 spokes on both wheels.


Another thing, 440-20 is 500A, not 550A as stated above, but I'll leave it here, they are French and of some interest (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html).  I have not yet found another bike that uses 550A wheels.

****

An interesting collection of modified Raleigh Twenties can be seen here:


I told the site owner (in UK) about this blog, he tells me:  "I wasn't aware of that Peugeot - it's a beaut too!  ...A rare treat - lovely curves - thanks for sharing."

No comments:

Post a Comment