Wednesday, June 8, 2011

weights of wheels, tyres and tubes

Pulling apart the front wheel, I thought it might be an idea to weigh the parts:

The front 550A wheel (no tyre or tube) is 950g.

The Michelin 550A tyre, after about 1000km of use, is 490g

The Presta valve 550A tube is 140g  (no patches).

****

Completely off the topic:

In the mood for tyre changing, I also changed two on my Raleigh Boulevard Tourist.

The rear wheel, 26x1&3/8" with 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub:  2390g

New (DELI TIRE, made in Indonesia) whitewall tyre:  720g  (inflate 50psi min, 70psi max).

New Tioga tube:  170g

ie.  rear wheel, tyre and tube = 3280g

The rim of the rear wheel is made in England and is a tighter fit on the tyre than the front rim which is made in Japan.

Front wheel, with new Deli Tire, Dynohub (6  63 date stamp), and tube:  3080g

Interestingly, one of the old tyres, Cheng Shin was 570g, ie. 150g lighter than the new one.

The old Cheng Shin tyre says:

FIT TO RIMS E4 & EA3
NYLON
MADE IN TAIWAN    65 PSI

The other old tyre (NORIES NO.1) is 790g, ie. 70g heavier than the new one, and has a faint red pin stripe, I guess it is probably the original that came with the bike.

On the sidewall it says:

INFLATE HARD
NYLON CANVAS
MADE IN JAPAN

Given the weight of these wheels, the Raleigh frame must be on the lighter side.

7 comments:

  1. Hey mate,

    I've recently aquired an NS22 of my own - I was wondering if you had managed to find an allow wheelset to put on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See here, 22" alloy wheels do exist:

      http://my-ns22.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/22-x-1-550a.html

      Delete
  2. RE:Above.

    Obviously I meant an alloy wheelset!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thought about finding a 24" mountain bike, the wheels are not much bigger, I think that will be my next move. I have seen on french ebay, ebay.fr, the 550A size is available as alloy wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that is a great article i really admire your writing style hope, you may keep posting these types of interesting articles. Tyre patches

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am satisfy your content because that is a better wheel .
    Three wheelers tubes exporter

    ReplyDelete