Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crashing with a car

At 8:40am June 1, 2011, I was heading north through a roundabout, a car heading east failed to give way.

Odometer says 918.2km.

Photos taken 2 June:




The bend in the wheel is right where it met the bumper.  I have a souvenir red graze and bruise on my right inner thigh, I assume from where it met the handlebar.  I have heard it is good to not overtighten the head-stem, so it can move in times like this.



Note the bent forks.  The frame seems OK.


Both handbrake levers came apart also.


The tyre still holds air.



From this angle it looks like a Mobius Strip


The front wheel of the bike met the driver's side of the front bumber.  My direction changed abruptly from north-bound to heading east.  As I travelled through the air I thought of my helmet being on to protect my head.  In the end my head did not hit the ground.  I guess I caught myself with my right hand, my wrist feels a little sore, I have a cut on my right middle finger.  I think my right inner thigh met up with the end of the handlebar, I have a red spot the same size and a surrounding bruise.  The bike ended up near the car and myself a few metres forward, as I remember.  I have a few other aches and pains, but completed a day at work (crash only abut 500m from work) and then walked home, got car, went back for bike.

The driver stopped and apologised for her carelessness, gave me her contact details.

The front wheel looks like one of Salvador Dali's clockfaces.

 The forks and brake levers are also bent, the rest seems OK.  I will get some photos soon.

I think I will request another NS22 plus $100, or a cash sum.

1 comment:

  1. ouch! Plus all that hard work you put into the bike. Boo hoo.

    I am amazed you managed it through a day a work, you must be made of tough stuff, like your NS22.

    (and yes, hooray for the helmet keeping your brain safe, even though in the end there was no head impact. Good reminder)

    ReplyDelete