Monday, March 26, 2012

Fork repair


I've made a start at straightening the forks. I held various parts in a wood-working vice and bent carefully.

At present, the 24 x 1.95 tyre is about 4mm off-centre, the knobbly bits on one side hit the fork.


 The wheel also tilts to one side, the head stem tube does not follow the same line as the tyre tread centre.

And the top part, whatever it is called, is not perpendicular to the wheel.

I will do a few more adjustments, and see how it goes.  I see 24 x 1.5" slick tyres are available, they will be the go if this works out.

I needed to file the drop-outs a little wider to take the wheel axle.

2 comments:

  1. Hey NS22. That 24" looks to be a pretty good fit.I'm now thinking of going the whole hog. Use a Shimano 3 speed hub (120mm) laced to a Velocity 22" rim.Or am I guilding the lilly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the 22" rim the same as the 550A? I have a 7-speed 24" rear wheel. First I'll just see how it goes with the new 24" wheel on the front. I don't mind the 3-speed hub gears.

    ReplyDelete