Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tennant Creek

I am once again in the Northern Territory, this time without my NS22.  I did not have time to repair it prior to coming here.

Today I met a man on a bike:   www.bikevsworld.com

I would have been more impressed if he was using an old bike, but each to his own.

In Tennant Creek I have a 1992 Diamondback mountain bike that I bought new.  Recently I replaced the wheels/tyres, chain, brakes, stem/handlebars/gearshifters/brake levers with parts from a 2001 Apollo mountain bike.

...Photos coming soon...

In less than 100km I had three punctures from thorns that are around here.  I have bought and fitted a pair of thorn-resistant tubes, but have not yet reached a verdict on their effectiveness.

Entirely OT, but I met a teacher of English who uses the word "brang" as the past tense of bring.

FYI:


1 comment:

  1. I've been keeping an eye on your blog. I've had two different NS22's over the last few years, and they are the most versatile rides around. When I received my first one, it was complete, minus the frame pump. It even had the original bunjies on the front and rear racks. Unfortunately, the tires were cracked, and very unstable. It took a lot of work, but I managed to find the tires. They are still available through any licensed Schwalbe reseller, and marked with the sister-brand Swallow. I ordered a few tires, to keep on hand. I recently acquired another NS22, that was completely original, with the frame pump, and even the original Peugeot bell. from what I could see, you front wheel may still be salvagable, if you can get it respoked, and unwarped. If not, the wheel diameter is stil used by work-cart manufacturers, and the rims may be interchangable.

    As for your front fork, you may be able to find a handbuilt framemaker, that is willing to build you a shortened fork. It's usually around $150USD. I'd imagine you could send them the damaged fork, and they could copy it.

    ReplyDelete